IELTS Task 2 writing is an essay in which you will have to debate how far you agree with a specific idea.
Here are a few tips to write a good essay and get more points in IELTS task 2 writing:
1. Have a clear controlling idea: the main point of your essay. This will be the backbone of your essay, all the way through.
2. Right at the beginning, outline a short plan: the ideas you will develop in each paragraph. This helps you to structure your paragraphs and not go on a tangent off-topic. If you go off-topic, you will lose points.
3. Have a very clear topic sentence for each paragraph: what I call the "umbrella of the paragraph".
4. Use linkers really clearly to give flow to your essay.
5. Keep the word count between 250 and 270 words: for IELTS task 2, you must write at least 250 words. Writing less than that will cause you to lose pints. On the other hand, writing a very long essay won't earn you extra points, and you risk going off-topic and making mistakes. So stick to the safe range between 250 and 270 words.
Now that you know all this, all we have to say is: break a leg!*
You will find more IELTS tips on our You Tube channel: You Tube.
If you found this useful, leave us a comment, share with a friend and/or subscribe to our channel.
Do you have other questions about using English or tips for the IELTS exam? Send us a message and we will be happy to create a video to answer you!
*this is an expression that means "good luck".